Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day #1- OK Shoulders.. I get it

Day #1 of full Budokon Training was.... truly amazing... 22 of us gathered onto a dock of The Standard Hotel, for a meet and greet with the MMA Students of the Budokon Academy and the Budokon Yoga Academy.  The morning was overcast and cool.. the water was calm, the people were welcoming and treated me like family.  Weirdly enough I am the only one from New York!  Kancho Cameron Shayne gave a speech that was absolutely amazing about being part of this Budokon Family, and how we were all hand picked.. for the qualities we posses and the qualities we didn't know we have yet. His philosophies on Yoga and Budokon are not the traditional thoughts.. and I really resonate with them.. I will discuss those later when my thoughts are fully formed.
After the pep talk the groups broke up into Yogi's and MMA trainers.  We went through each step of the Yoga Kata.. for 6 hours!  It was absolutely and utterly HARD!.. However, my spine feels open and mobile, my core was engaged and powerful, my breath was steady... and then my shoulders started to speak... more specifically my serratus and biceps tendon became VERY ANGRY..
Now.. I have always had issues with the right side of my body, due to the lovely scoliosis that I work with.. however, today, my left side was becoming annoyed.  I made it all the way to the last hour of training, when I decided I was going to try the Flow just one more time. and RRIIPPPP.. my left shoulder pulled away from my the shoulder socket... I immediately took the weight off the shoulder and eased my shoulder back into the socket.... can we say OUCH?!?!?!..
What the heck just happened? Did I tear something? Did I dislocate my shoulder? Can i move my arm... can I EVEN BREATHE??  The only thought that ran through my head was "Holy Shit.. I don't have health insurance!"

After icing down my shoulder and upper back, getting feeling back into my left hand... and i finally exhaled.. i tested the rotation of my arm, and WHAALAA.. It works!  Apparently I just seriously pulled the shoulder  girdle. Yet another lesson learned about listening to my body...

The unfortunate part of all this was I missed the testing out portion of the day.. the FORTUNATE part is that Kancho saw my training all day and passed me through to phase II.

Tomorrow is all about rolling .. which I LOVE.. and has NOTHING to do with my arms or shoulder.. WHEW!

Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment