Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Untitled for a reason..

Why are we so obsessed with titles all the time? The subject of titles came up several times today, and I was trying to figure out why there is such a need to titling everything. I recently taught a Chakra workshop for my teachers in training, asking them to describe themselves without using titles or hobbies or what they did for a living. But to truly describe wheat makes them up. And it was awesome what they were able to come up with and how difficult of a question it was when you took away the titles. Why? I have been trying to teach and encourage my students to teach yoga asanas without using the title of the popes, just describe it from the ground up..and that is a very challenging task..why? At my job, I was asked about what my title should be..well, in that instance I guess a title would be necessary. Especially since I am the finance manager. But seriously, what's with all the emphasis on titles everywhere.. Why are we just not our descriptions? I was actually described in an email that was forwarded to me, as an instructor who has knowledge in a specific field.. What about my name?? How great would it be if we could use our vocabulary to properly describe things to the best of our ability, to show what we were truly feeling about that item, instead of using a title that already has a particular emphasis on it. For example, let's take the title of instructor.. Or even yoga instructor. The immediate vision is someone who is teaching at the front of a room, lecturing or demonstrating yoga. How about, a person who has acquired ancient knowledge from experience and research, and has seen the amazing results of this ancient practice of quieting the mind and body, and now wants to share. Doesn't that sound better??

No comments:

Post a Comment