Saturday, June 18, 2011

Patience, Persistence and Serenity

Going on a full weeks work at the new gig for the summer. The preparation it took to get to this point was almost impossible, with nothing but problems everywhere I turned.  This week has definitely shown me what I am capable of, and gave me the opportunity to rediscover myself in ways I haven't seen in years.
Within the first 3 days of arriving at the resort,  all technology went down, power outages, servers malfunctioning, no internet service with 37 guests arriving in 48 hours.  All of these things are way beyond my control, however, frustrating nonetheless.  I managed to get an amazing amount of work done with 4 hours of sleep a night.
One of the most interesting things that I learned (aside from not feeding the technology gremlins after midnight), is how quickly my team came together.  We have 3 returning staff from last year, but 3 of us are brand new, and we became a family and a support system almost instantly, or so I thought..
Sunday rolls around and the 37 guests come pouring in from all directions, and what I thought was a completely organized system ended up being a train wreck as we fell farther and farther behind on doing their entry assessments.  We were TRYING to get all of them done on Sunday, however, now looking back at the math- 37 guests with a 1/2 hr session each x 3 trainers/5 hours= NOT ENOUGH TIME. But again, I keep my cool and we move ahead with assessments the next day.
As the days roll by, each guest has more and more "food allergies" driving my poor nutritionist and dietitian crazy. More small fires to be put out, no big deal.. I finally get my first day off on Tuesday and boy do I NEED it, and just like that WHAM- my team falls apart!  Suddenly we are having communication issues, I am at my wits end, and everyone needs to just stop and take a breath... including me.
My first reaction, as always is "F*ck This!" I am OUT!.. and then Rational Stephanie showed up a little while later, and sat back and thought about the situation at hand decided that with Persistence and Serenity- this too shall pass.
We are now on day 6 and things are finally falling into place, running like a semi-rusty machine as the technology gremlins are STILL at work, but, now I just shrug my shoulders and pull out a notebook and pen and start writing.
Its an interesting thing to be thrown into a situation like this, professionally its a change, personally is a HUGE change, and spiritually... well I haven't found that side of me in quite a while.. i'm working on it.
One of the things I HAVE found is my ability to smile when things get hard, breathe when the stress begins to creep up.. and not be afraid to cry when I feel like I just need too...

No comments:

Post a Comment